Recent Posts

Hot days

7/24/2018 (Permalink)

Warning! Coming into the dog days of summer, we all need to be more aware of the dangers of leaving pets and children in cars.  According to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) a child's body heats up three to five times faster than an adult's. A child's major organs begin to shut down when his or her body temperature reaches 104 degrees Fahrenheit. A child can die when body temps reach 107 degrees. On average, in the first ten minutes, a vehicle's internal temperature will rise by 19 degrees. In areas across the country where outside temps are at or above 90 degrees, the temps inside of the vehicle can be fatal for children in 10 minutes time. We hear horror stories on the news all the time of someone inadvertently leaving their children or pet in the car.  If you see something, say something. SERVPRO cares, always! 

A mid-summer's night

7/19/2018 (Permalink)

As we find ourselves halfway through July, what are some of the things you enjoy about summer? For us, it's standing on the deck at night, breathing in the night air, and watching the firefly's (lightnin' bugs) if you're from SE Pennsylvania. But what about the nights that the humidity is so thick, you can't stand to be outside. Fortunately, most people can regulate the humidity levels inside their homes to make it comfortable. Outside, is a whole different story.  In the picture, you can see where black mold has formed all over the ceiling of a utility shed. This was attached to the back of a home and housed the lawn mower. Thankfully, the homeowner caught this in time and the mold did not spread to the main house. If you find mold anywhere in your home, give us a call! SERVPRO of Pottstown/Soudertown 610-327-9644

Ugh, pollen.

5/15/2018 (Permalink)

For those of us that suffer with seasonal allergies, this year is proving especially miserable. The amount of pollen in the air this year is truly unbearable. There are multiple over the counter medications that you can take, but do you really get relief? We're all tempted to open the widows and let our houses "air out" from the Winter season, but this is the worst thing allergy sufferers can do. the pollen spores come right in through your screens and get all over the furniture, in the rugs, on your bed linens and towels. You go to bed at night and wake up with a stuffy nose and itchy, watery eyes in the morning.  Another cause is our air conditioners. Whether you have window units or a central ac unit, you need to have them properly cleaned prior to use. the pollen, dust and mold, builds up over the winter season and when you turn them on, they blow all that stuff into the air and circulate it through the home. Call your local SERVPRO franchise and we'll come clean your units to prevent this. 610-327-9644.

Sprinkler system failure

5/7/2018 (Permalink)

When you own and operate a business, you have a responsibility to always protect your employees and clients. One of the ways this is accomplished is by installing a sprinkler system in case of a fire. For the most part, sprinklers are the best defense against the fire allowing precious moments for people to escape until the fire department can get on sight and begin their work. But what happens when the sprinkler system malfunctions? This is exactly the case that this picture shows. There was a software glitch that set off the sprinkler system overnight. Thankfully, no one was in the building at the time and there were no reported injuries. As you can see, the ceiling itself, collapsed under the weight from the built up water. 

Slow leak on water heater

5/4/2018 (Permalink)

Water heaters are the greatest things since sliced bread. Well, not really, but they do provide us with hot water to wash clothes, take long showers or to fill up the bathtub for a glorious soak after a hard day. We all enjoy these conveniences, but everything comes with a caveat. What happens when the water heater leaks? The water heater was sitting on a sleeper floor and it had a very slow leak. The homeowners weren't alerted to anything because they didn't notice a drop in water pressure or anything that would tip them off. You can see just how bad it rotted the floor. If this had been placed in a more prominent part of the home or if there was a significant change in water pressure or temperature, this situation could have been rectified before it got to this point. We recommend that you check your furnace, water heaters and other appliances at least once a month to spot problems before they start. 

Ventilation is key

5/2/2018 (Permalink)

Proper ventilation in your home or business is the difference between mold and no mold. We recently did an estimate on a home where the customer had a low profile roof vent installed when he put his new roof on in order to make his home more aesthetically pleasing. Even though he had soffit vents, it still wasn't enough to create the proper vacuum needed to release all of the moisture. Most older homes "breathe" and can get away with having just a few Gable vents and they work well. Todays builders, tend to really make the houses tight so they require a lot more ventilation. If you suspect that you have a mold problem, please call your local SERVPRO franchise and we can come and give you an estimate. 610-327-9644 

Leaky pipes

4/25/2018 (Permalink)

So you head downstairs in the basement to do the worst chore of all time, laundry, and lo and behold you find the floor is wet.  You look around and realize it's coming from upstairs.  Off you go to investigate, and it turns out there is a pipe in the wall in your bathroom that is leaking. The bathroom floor isn't wet, but the wall is. You have no idea how long this has been going on and your on the hunt for a plumber. Once the plumber has come and fixed your leaky pipe, you will need to check to see if you've developed any mold from this unknown leak. The best bet, is to call your local SERVPRO franchise. We can send someone to your home for an inspection and determine if you do have mold and the best way to treat it. 

April Showers

4/23/2018 (Permalink)

As the old saying goes, April showers bring May flowers. In some cases, they also bring unwelcome water intrusions to your home or business. We've had higher than normal amounts of moisture in the ground via snow melt and rain storms this past winter.  With this, the ground is completely saturated and that can cause sump pump failures as well as general leaking through foundations. If left untreated, the water can become hazardous to your health. Most of the time, the water is too much for people to handle on their own. They usually try to vacuum it with a wet dry vac, but it's not always enough. You will need to call in professionals who can come armed with air movers and dehumidifiers to properly mitigate the water and fix any issues that arise. 

Beauty salon disaster

4/11/2018 (Permalink)

Weather plays an integral part of our everyday life whether we know it or not. You wake up and start your day. You have coffee, grab a shower and some breakfast and out the door you go. It's cold, but you are a Pennsylvania native so you bundle up a little more and prepare to deal with your day. Your drive to work is pretty uneventful, but when you get there, it's a whole different ball game.  There was a crawl space that wasn't properly insulated years ago and there was a crack in a doorway close to there that allowed air in and to freeze the pipes, the radiator specifically.  What a mess. 2 inches of water are now covering the entire shop from front to back.  The waiting room to the stylists stations and everywhere in between. it's too much to handle on your own, you need the experts. And all of this, because of the crazy snow storms and bitter cold temps in PA this winter. 

SERVPRO cares, always.

3/30/2018 (Permalink)

We at SERVPRO are confident in saying that we have seen it all, however, sometimes even we get a little surprised. We just recently finished a biohazard clean up job in a hearse. Yes, a hearse. They were transporting a body from one funeral home to another and something caused a leak. Bodily fluids along with embalming fluid and other things seeped out of the bag and all through the vehicle.  The customer attempted to mitigate the situation themselves using bleach but the odor was still evident and it wasn't truly clean and safe. There are so many toxins involved when you are dealing with something like this.  It may never happen again, and we certainly hope it won't, but if it does, we're prepared. Should you find yourself in need of any of our services, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via phone at 610-327-9644 SERVPRO of Pottstown/Souderton or online at www.Facebook.com/SERVPROpottstownsouderton