Got mold...we can help!
Do you have a mold problem? Mold is a type of fungus that grows in warm and damp environments. The most common places in a home that you would find mold would be the attic, ducts, bathrooms, kitchens and basements. There are different types of mold as well. Outdoor molds help with the decomposition of dead trees, compost piles and leaves. Indoor molds are generally referred to as black mold. This tends to be found in bathrooms and basements; any place that moisture gets trapped. The best way to avoid it is to use fans and leave windows open while showering when you are able. With spring right around the corner, be sure to open the windows and air out your home as best you can when the weather permits. if you do find mold, please contact us at 610-327-9644 or reach out to us on facebook at www.facebook.com/SERVPROpottstownsouderton.com
Carbon Monoxide, The Silent Killer.
You can't see, smell or taste carbon monoxide, but at high levels, it can kill a person in minutes. Carbon monoxide, or CO, is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels like gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas and propane burn incompletely. According to the CDC, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning each year. It is estimated that another 20,000visit the emergency room, and more than 4,000 are hospitalized due to CO poisoning. To eliminate the risk factors, you should follow the tips provided by the United States Fire Administration.
Have fuel-burning appliances, like oil and gas furnaces, gas or kerosene heaters, fireplaces, and wood stoves inspected and cleaned by a professional every year.
Open the damper for proper ventilation before using a fireplace. Never use your over or stovetop to heat your home.
if you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it.
Make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, wood stove and fireplace are clear of snow and other debris.
Reach out to your local SERVPRO Franchise professionals 610-327-9644 or on Facebook @ www.facebook.com/SERVPROofpottstown/souderton if you've experienced any negative effects of carbon monoxide and you need a professional clean up team.
Who cleans up the mess?
SERVPRO technicians are trained to handle all types of cleanup. We're known for fire and water restoration, but only some people know that we also handle biohazard clean up. We've been called to different types of crime scenes such as arson, methamphetamine labs, blood-borne pathogens, sewer backups on abandoned properties and more. Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences for building occupants, employees, customers, and owners. A failure to properly handle and safely remove such hazardous substances can contribute to unhealthy and dangerous environments. Your local SERVPRO Franchise Professionals are trained to safely and efficiently remove bio-hazardous substances and prepare waste for proper disposal according to OSHA, EPA and your local state health codes. Armed with the necessary safety equipment and cleaning products, SERVPRO technicians help to turn unsafe environments into clean, safe homes and offices. contact us at 610-327-9644 or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/SERVPROofpottstown/souderton
Valentine's day nightmare
So you want to relax and enjoy your night at home with your significant other. You order a gourmet dinner in, you watch a movie and enjoy few glasses of wine together. You light a few candles to set the mood and the next thing you know, you get called into the other room to check on something. You've left the bedroom where the candles are burning and you start to smell smoke. You rush back into the bedroom and realize that your romantic night has just turned into a nightmare. The cat has jumped up on the nightstand and knocked a candle onto the floor setting the carpet on fire. You all get out safely but now your watching your home burn. According to the NFPA (National Fire Prevention Association) approximately 25 home fires per day are caused by candles. Call your local SERVPRO Franchise at 610-327-9644 to help you get your life back to normal after a devastating fire. Our trained technicians know how to handle fire, soot and water cleanup. You can also find us on Facebook @ www.facebook.com/SERVPROofpottstown/souderton
According to FEMA, flash floods can bring walls of water from 10 to 20 feet high. Flooding can be caused by spring thawing (snow and frozen grounds melting in the spring), heavy rains, snow melt runoff, and mudflows. Floods are the most widespread natural disaster aside from wildfires. In preparation for a flood, it is important to stock up on first aid items, non-perishable foods, three gallons of water per person for three days, battery operated radio for weather reports, extra batteries and personal hygiene necessities. A 2000 square foot home undergoing 12 feet of water damage could cost more than $50,000 to repair. Call you local SERVPRO Franchise professionals at 610-327-9644 to come and asses your damage or contact us on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/SERVPROofpottstown/souderton.
There are two different types of water, clean and contaminated. Clean water is from a broken pipe or other water source; rainwater is also considered clean. The term gray water is used to classify slightly contaminated water. Clean water becomes gray water when it is left untreated allowing bacteria and other contaminates to begin growing, making the water hazardous. Black water is highly contaminated and filled with fungi, bacteria, chemicals and more. Black water is typically caused by sewage damage, flooding, or natural disaster. Black water should always be handled by trained professionals. Call your local SERVPRO Franchise professionals at 610-327-9644 and we will be able to assist you in the best course of action to get your home or business back to normal. you can also find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/SERVPROofpottstown/souderton
Ice dams can be a little known but serious problem for your home or business during the winter season. They form when heated air melts roof snow downward into water dammed behind still-frozen ice. When the trapped water cannot safely flow into the gutter system, it can backflow under the roof's shingles and into the structure's interior areas, as well as causing gutters and shingles to move or fall. To avoid this, make sure your gutters are cleaned out completely after all the leaves and debris have fallen of the trees in late fall. Icicles can be an initial sign of an ice dam, no matter how pretty they are. Always check for water stains or moisture in your attic or the ceiling of exterior walls of you home. Removing an ice dam as soon as it is found is vital to help prevent damage. Call your local SERVPRO Franchise at 610-327-9644 to asses any damage. or reach out to us on Facebook. www.facebook.com/SERVPROofpottstown/souderton
If disaster strikes your business, are you prepared?
Do you have a plan? How quickly can your company get back to "business as usual" if a disaster strikes? Contact your local SERVPRO Franchise and set up an ERP-Emergency Ready Program. Having this plan in place will minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action in place for your facility. The ERP is a comprehensive document containing critical information about your business including: Emergency Contact info, Shut-off Valve Locations and Priority Areas. The ERP is also accessible online; download SERVPRO's free Ready Plan app to access this info at any time. The ERP establishes your local SERVPRO Franchise as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider. Knowing what to do and who to call in advance is key to quick response and timely mitigation. Having a plan in place may help minimize the amount of time that your business is inactive and get you back in the building.
50% of businesses may never reopen following a disaster...don't be one of them. Contact your local SERVPRO franchise 610-327-9644 or get us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/SERVPROofpottstown/souderton
Chimney fires - how to prevent them
According to the CSIA (Chimney Safety Institute of America), a clean chimney will not catch fire.
Some of the causes of chimney fires are creosote build up, unseasoned wood, or a cold chimney.
Creosote is an oily substance that will build up on the walls of your chimney over time. It can look yellow, brown or dark brown to black in color. It can be a mixture of tar, phenolic compounds, or aromatic hydrocarbons. It's highly flammable and can cause a fire if not treated properly.
Some people have reported signs of loud cracking and popping noises, a hot smell, and a dense smoke.
You should have your chimney cleaned annually by an CSIA Certified chimney sweep!
Should you have a chimney fire, call your local SERVPRO Franchise at 610-327-9644. We can clean your home and contents in a quick and economical way!
Smoke detectors save lives!
The National Fire Protection Association recommends that smoke detectors be installed in every bedroom, outside all sleeping quarters and on every level of the house. Smoke alarms work best when they are combined with a fire evacuation route that allows your family or customers a way to escape quickly in the instance of a fire.
Smoke detectors should be on every level of the home, including the basement.
They should be installed away from the kitchen to prevent false alarms and at least 10 feet from all appliances.
Test your detectors at least once per month by using the "test" button. If it begins to randomly chirp, change your batteries immediately.
Smoke detectors are only good for 10 years, after that, they need to be replaced.
Should you have a fire, please contact your local SERVPRO Franchise at 610-327-9644.