Recent General Posts

"The Rut"

10/9/2018 (Permalink)

According to 2017 Pennsylvania Crash Facts and Statistics Report published by PennDot there were 4,258 reported crashes involving a deer.  It's important to take into consideration that white tailed deer in PA are on the move in "rut" in the fall months. The bucks are chasing the does and this means hazards on the roadways for drivers.  We should always be careful, but we find this time of year to be particularly challenging.  The worst times seem to be at dusk and dawn. Always drive cautiously and never drive distracted! Keep your eyes on the road and scan for deer crossing signs. Always wear your seat belt. These are just a few tips to keep everyone as safe as possible on the roads this year! 

Hot days

7/24/2018 (Permalink)

Warning! Coming into the dog days of summer, we all need to be more aware of the dangers of leaving pets and children in cars.  According to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) a child's body heats up three to five times faster than an adult's. A child's major organs begin to shut down when his or her body temperature reaches 104 degrees Fahrenheit. A child can die when body temps reach 107 degrees. On average, in the first ten minutes, a vehicle's internal temperature will rise by 19 degrees. In areas across the country where outside temps are at or above 90 degrees, the temps inside of the vehicle can be fatal for children in 10 minutes time. We hear horror stories on the news all the time of someone inadvertently leaving their children or pet in the car.  If you see something, say something. SERVPRO cares, always! 

Carbon Monoxide, The Silent Killer.

2/21/2018 (Permalink)

You can't see, smell or taste carbon monoxide, but at high levels, it can kill a person in minutes. Carbon monoxide, or CO, is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels like gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas and propane burn incompletely. According to the CDC, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning each year. It is estimated that another 20,000visit the emergency room, and more than 4,000 are hospitalized due to CO poisoning. To eliminate the risk factors, you should follow the tips provided by the United States Fire Administration. 

Have fuel-burning appliances, like oil and gas furnaces, gas or kerosene heaters, fireplaces, and wood stoves inspected and cleaned by a professional every year.

Open the damper for proper ventilation before using a fireplace. Never use your over or stovetop to heat your home.

if you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it. 

Make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, wood stove and fireplace are clear of snow and other debris. 

Reach out to your local SERVPRO Franchise professionals 610-327-9644 or on Facebook @ www.facebook.com/SERVPROofpottstown/souderton  if you've experienced any negative effects of carbon monoxide and you need a professional clean up team.